A comprehensive electronic system that monitors and documents the disbursement of wages of workers in entities subject to the Labor Law No. (14) Of 2004 in order to ensure that employers are paid their wages on a regular and timely basis in accordance with the rules and conditions stipulated in the Labor Law.
General objectives of the system:
- Protecting the workers from manipulation of their financial dues.
- Enhancing security and stability in the country by creating a safe working environment.
- Promoting the principle of human rights in the State of Qatar.
- Save workers and employers from the need to keep cash in their workplaces liable to be lost or stolen.
- Enabling the Ministry of Labor to continuously review and compare the data of the employees with their data to ensure compliance with the provisions of the Labor Law.
- Minimizing legal disputes between parties and waste of effort and time.
- Assisting the judiciary in issuing judgments and settling disputes concerning employees' entitlements.
Required payroll data and Salary protection project
First: The basic data agreed to be met:
|Statement ||Description ||Why we need this statement?|
|Entity registration number||It means the identification number of the entity with which the worker works according to the number recorded in the records of the Ministry of the Interior.||To infer the work of the worker|
|Personal number||It means the employee ID number, which is the number registered in the country ID card if the worker obtains Iqama,||To infer the identity of the worker|
|Visa number||The visa number for the period prior to obtaining the worker's Iqama.||To infer the identity of the worker|
|Employee name||The name identical to what is registered on the Qatari ID card||A descriptive statement that is used for the manual auditing in case of conflicting any of the basic data for inference.|
|Month / year||The month and the year according to the calendar year||The month for which the wage is due.|
|Net remuneration received||It means the sum of adding the total additional wages to the wage due on working days, less the total deductions of wages, and represents the net real wages received by the worker.||The basic statement to determine the actual value that the worker receives from his employer in the specified salary month|
Second: Additional data agreed to be met:
|Statement||Description||Why we need this statement?|||| |
|Basic pay||The rate at which the worker is paid for the work performed in a given period of time on a monthly basis||||The basis of calculation for the comparison between the actual payment to the worker and his entitlements according to the law. ("Article 48" Labor Law)|||
|The number of working days||It means the number of working days equivalent during the month of salaries and take 30 days as a basis for work for a full month; working days may decrease because of the absence of the worker or increase in the case of payment of salary in advance of the annual leave.||||The basis of calculation for the comparison between the actual payment to the worker and his entitlements according to the law. ("Article 48" Labor Law)|||
|Number of overtime hours||It means working hours outside normal working hours, whether during normal working days or on holidays and official holidays.|||
The Basis of calculation of Employee entitlements for additional work.
("Article 73, 74, 75" Labor Law)
|Additional wages||Is the sum of the additional wages paid to the worker and includes the wages for the additional work during the normal working days, the additional work during the weekly holidays and public holidays in addition to any benefits or any bonuses as late payments of previous months or the remuneration provided for the annual leave or similar.||||A basis for ensuring that the total deductions from the worker's wages are in accordance with the law. (Article 60, 70, 71) Labor Law)|||
|Amount of deduction of remuneration||This includes any periodic deductions or deductions because of imposing penalties or seizure by judicial judgment or payment of a loan or compensation for the injury of the employer or reduction of salary during sick leave, work injury or the like.||||(Article 60, 70, 71) The Labor Law is the basis for ensuring that the total deductions of workers'|||
|Additional Notes||Any additional notes that the employer wishes to add to clarify an unusual mechanism for calculating the wage of the worker for the salary month||||Additional optional statement|||
Mechanism of sending monthly payrolls
- The entity shall prepare an electronic file in respect of salaries and wages due to employees per month in the form of a CSV file according to the technical specifications contained in the Appendix. The file may be included in a CD or sent to the bank of the entity through Email or any other method agreed between the entity and the bank.
- The Bank shall enter the wage data received from the entity on the WPS system through the mechanisms provided by the system.
- The system performs an electronic matching process on the received file and verifies the structure of the data.
- In the event that the electronic matching process showed errors due to non-compliance of the entity / entity with the structure of the required data or the presence of unreasonable data, the entity shall be notified of the reasons for rejection of the file with a list of errors discovered, so that the entity can correct errors and re-send the file.
- If the file is accepted by the payroll system, the file will be transferred to the financial audit to verify the bank account number. Moreover, to verify the existence of sufficient balance in the account of the entity to cover the process of payment of salaries as well as verifying the absence of any seizure / suspension of the account of the entity at the bank.
- In the event of failure to pass the financial audit of the payroll file, the company will be informed of this and the errors discovered so that the company can correct errors.
- Upon passing the financial audit, the system automatically distributes salaries from the establishment bank to the employment banks.
- The Bank of the worker shall add the value of the wage to the employee's account with the Bank and notify him accordingly.
- The system performs the automatic clearing process by direct deduction from the bank account of the establishment to the bank account of the worker with the Qatar Central Bank.
- Send the data approved by Qatar Central Bank to the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs to complete the audit and follow up procedures.
The administrative requirements of the entity to participate in the system of protection of salaries and wages
1. The employer shall have an account in one of the banks operating in Qatar.
2. The institution of employment / operating entity must open an account in one of the banks operating in Qatar for all its workers.
3. The employment establishment must participate in the WPS system through the Bank of the entity.
4. The entity shall agree with the bank on the mechanism for the delivery of workers' remuneration files to the bank.
5. The entity shall set up workers' wages files with the following specifications:
The file name and content should conform to the specifications in the technical annex SIF_structure.docx.
The content of the file must be comma separated value (CSV) format. The company can use any program to prepare this file such as:
Extraction directly from the company's payroll system (in this example, the company may have to make adjustments to the payroll system to extract the file according to the specific specifications)
Use Microsoft Excel to fill payroll information (see example SIF_12345678_CBQ_20140706_1216.xlsx) and then store it in CSV format (see example SIF_12345678_CBQ_20140706_1216.csv).
6. The company must send the workers' wages file to the bank using the mechanism agreed upon with the bank.
7. It is the responsibility of the company to make corrections and to send a new employee wage file to the bank if the bank finds any errors in the file.
8. The company shall be required to prepare and deliver the workers' wages file before the date specified by the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs.
Technical Supplement to prepare payroll file according to WPS wage protection system requirements
SIF file: means the electronic file according to the structure of specific data include information and financial data for the purposes of the payment of wages and salaries of employment (transfer of the value of employee salaries entitlements from the account of the entity to the employees account). As well as data and information required by the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs to ensure the supervision and auditing of salaries and wages of employees in accordance with the provisions of the Labor Law No. (14) of 2004.
1. Employment entity: An entity in which a worker works and has an entity registration number.
2. Paying Body: The body that pays the workers' wages from its bank account. The paying Body may be the same as the employer and may be another entity related to the employment entity (eg, a company and its branches). The paying Body may be a person related to the entity (the owner of the establishment) through his personal account at a bank.
In all cases, in the event of payment is made by way of a bank account of one entity, the entity registration number is adopted as a basis for the definition thereof, but if payment by a bank account of somebody, the person's valid ID card number is adopted to identify him within the payroll file.
3. Types of fields listed in the payroll file:
Character (X): Contains letters, words and numbers, eg XYZ123
The symbol in parenthesis indicates the maximum number of characters
Example: A letter (5) will be ABCDE
Numerical (X): represents an integer without fractions Example 1234
The symbol in parentheses indicates the maximum field length
- Decimal (3,2): represents a number containing decimal fractions as an example: 132.25
- Mandatory: means that the field must be filled in (the file will not be accepted if left empty).
- Optional: field when needed and it is not necessary to fill the field and can be left empty.
Format, name and description of the file:
- File format
The electronic file format accepted in WPS should be "Common Separated Values (CSV)".
Note that the sequence of fields in the file is strictly complied with in Table 1, 2 as well as adherence to the type and length of the statement, noting that any breach in the order requested may cause the file to be rejected by the WPS when delivered to any bank.
The establishments have the freedom to create such a file, including but not limited to:
1. Directly extract thereof from the systems in force at home.
2. Configure the file through Excel applications and then save the CSV file.
The proposed file format also supports English characters and Arabic characters as well as numbers from 0-9
3. Any other mechanism found by the establishment is appropriate as long as the structure of the extracted file is identical to the required structure.
The formula adopted to rename the file:
The file name consists of five sections:
Section one: is the ID of the file, consists of three characters. It is a fixed SIF section.
Section two: the registration number of the employment entity and consists of a numerical text with a length of 8 digits, 12345678.
With regard to entities where the registration number has 7 digits, the number will be added by adding zero to the left of the number.
An entity whose registration number is 1234567 will be the registration number 01234567.
Section three: Short name of the paying bank with a limit of 4 characters (see Appendix 2 for the names and codes of banks operating in Qatar as approved by Qatar Central Bank).
Section four: Date of creation of the file – Numerical section of length 8 digits begins with the number of the year (four digits) followed by the number of the month (two digits) followed by the day (two digits) YYYYMMDD
Example: 11-2-2015 will be written 20150211
Section five: Date of creation of the file – a numerical section of 4 numbers hhmm starts the clock (two digits) and the minute ((two digits)).
Entity number: 12345678
Bank of the Entity: Arab Bank – ARAB
Date of file creation: 20-01-2015
File creation time: 12:01
The correct file name will be:
- Technical description of the file:
The file consists of two parts:
Header: for non-repeatable basic data of the employment entity and the paying body data.
Salary records "payrolls": Include detailed data and information about the worker and statement of salary / payout due for a specific period:
The header consists of two lines, the first line (which represents the first line in the payroll file), will be assigned to the title / field names followed by the second line (the second line in the payroll file) will be assigned to the corresponding values for each title in the first line as shown in Table(1):
Table (1) Header structure
|S. No||Field Name|
|1||Entity/ employer Registration number ||Numerical (8)||Mandatory||It means the registration number of the employment entity.|
|2||File creation Date ||Numerical (8)||Mandatory||YYYYMMDD|
|3||File creation time||Numerical 4))||Mandatory||HHMM|
The company's registration number, which pays the wages from its bank account
One of the fields shall be filled
|It means the entity registration number that pays the employees' wages. If the paying body is a person, this field is left empty and the next field, the country ID number, is filled|
|5||ID number (if payment is from a personal bank account)||Numerical (11)||||It means the Qatari ID number in the case of payment through a personal account|
|6||Payment bank code||Character (4)||Mandatory||Short code for payment (see Appendix 2) |
|7||IBAN payment account number||Character (29)||Mandatory||Paying body account number|
|8||Salary Year / Month||Numerical (6)||Mandatory||Year and month of wages of workers in YYYYMM format beginning with the year and then the month|
|9|| ||Decimal (18,2) (there are two decimal places)||Mandatory||Total salaries payable to workers during the month included in the payroll.|
|10||Number of records ||Numerical (6)||Mandatory||The number of detailed records contained in the SIF payroll file|
Example for Headers:
|Employer EID||File Creation Date||File Creation Time||Payer EID||Payer QID||Payer Bank Short Name||Payer IBAN||Salary Year and Month||Total Salaries||Total Records|
Salary payroll details:
The SIF payroll records represent the salary details of the employees listed in the header
Each record represents only one worker data and is not duplicated in the file. The worker is defined by the Qatari ID number or visa number.
The field titles start from the third line in the file, start filling it and fill in the details starting from the fourth line of the file. It is necessary to commit to the order of the fields as shown in Table 2:
Table (2) – Details of payroll file entries:
|S. No||Field Name|
|1||Registration serial number||Numerical (6)||Mandatory|
It is a non-duplicate serial number used to define an employee's record in the payroll file.
If the file is extracted from Microsoft Excel applications, the field must be a text / character field.
|2||Personal number||Numerical (11)|
One of the fields fills
Either the personal number or the visa number
According to what is registered in the Qatari ID card, noting that the length of the field is fixed.
If the worker is new in the country and has not receive the country ID card yet, the field shall be left empty and fill the field that follows
|3||Visa number||Character (12)||||If the worker is new in Qatar and does not get the ID, fill this field with the visa number.|| |
|4||Employee name||Character (70)||Mandatory||The name identical to what is registered on the Qatari Identification Card and must be at least two sections.|| |
|5||Employee Bank code||Character (4)||Mandatory||Worker Bank Code [i] || |
|6||Employee account number||Character (29)||Mandatory||If the account of the employee in the same bank of the entity, fills the field with the account number of the employee in the bank. If the account of the employee is in another bank, fills the field with IBAN no.|| |
|7||Period of Salary Performance||Character (1)||Mandatory|
One value of two choices
For the biweekly "B"
For the monthly salary "M".
|8||The number of working days||Numerical (3)||Mandatory||It means the number of working days during the month of salaries. The number of working days may decrease or increase as a result of the absence of the employee. If the employee is on vacation for the whole month, the value is recorded at zero.|| |
|9||Net remuneration received||Decimal (18.2)||Mandatory||It means the sum of the additions of the total additional wages to the wage due on the working days, less the total deductions from the wage and represents the net actual remuneration received by the worker in Qatari riyals|| |
|10||Basic Remuneration||Decimal (18.2)||Mandatory||The average amount paid to the worker for the work he performs in a certain period of time on a daily, monthly or yearly basis|| |
|11||Number of overtime hours||Decimal (18.2)||Mandatory|
It means the hours of work outside regular working hours, whether during working days or on holidays or official leaves.
In the absence of additional working hours, the value is recorded at zero.
|12||Additional fees||Decimal (18.2)||Mandatory|
It is the sum of the additional wages paid to the worker other than the basic wage due for the working days.
Wages include overtime during normal working days, during weekends and public holidays, as well as any other allowances such as housing allowance, transfer, bonuses or any other benefits as late payments.
In the event that no additional wages are due, the value is recorded at zero.
|13||The amount of tax deduction||Decimal (18.2)||Mandatory|
It includes any periodic deductions as a result of imposing sanctions or seizure in favor of a judicial judgment or repayment of a loan or compensation for injury to the employer or reduction of salary during sick leave, work injury or similar.
In the absence of any additional deductions, the value is recorded at zero.
|14||The basis of the receivable||Character (50)||Optional ||Settlement and payment of overdue salaries|| |
|15||Notes||Character (300)||Optional ||Any additional observations the entity deems necessary || |
Appendix no. (1)
Employer EID, File Creation Date, File Creation Time, Payer EID, Payer QID, Payer Bank Short Name, Payer IBAN, Salary Year and Month, Total Salaries, Total Records
Record Sequence, Employee QID, Employee Visa ID, Employee Name, Employee Bank Short Name, Employee Account, Salary Frequency, Number of Working days, Net Salary, Basic Salary, Extra hours, Extra income, Deductions, Payment Type, Notes / Comments
000001,27822001001,,Mustapha Abdullah,DBQ,QA26DOHBQAQAXXX00000693123456,M,30,15000, 15000,0,0,0,,
000002,28040000056,,Jalal Oelberg,DBQ,QA26DOHBQAQAXXX00000693123456,M,20,16000, 24000,0,0,8000,,Deductions due to sick leave
000003,24901552257,,Ala Aldahabi,QNB,693123456,M,15,6500,11000,0,0,4500,,Unpaid vacation
000004,28424002333,,Ammar Mohammed,QNB,QA87QNBAQAQAXXX00000693123456,M,30,30000, 30000,0,0,0,,
000005,28815000478,,Ottmar Knef,CBQ,QA86CBQAQAQAXXX00000693123456,M,30,37000, 28500,0,10000,1500,,Housing allowance added and personal loan deducted
000006,29132001234,,Sabine Jager,CBQ,QA86CBQAQAQAXXX00000693123456,M,30,14500, 17500,0,0,3000,,Employee has a loan
000007,,222225522612,Aleksandr Popov,CBQ,QA86CBQAQAQAXXX00000693123456,M,22,15000, 13000,0,2000,0,,Transportation allowance
000008,27203012245,,Ume Matsushita,CBQ,QA86CBQAQAQAXXX00000693123456,M,30,25000, 22000,20.5,3000,0,,Overtime paid
000009,,222225522634,Adrien Delacroix,CBQ,QA86CBQAQAQAXXX00000693123456,M,30,21775, 21500,0,275,0,,Extra payment for telephone
Appendix 2 Names and symbols of banks operating in the State of Qatar
|Bank Identifier (bank short name)||Name of Bank|
|QNB||Qatar National Bank|
|CBQ||Commercial Bank of Qatar|
|QIB||Qatar Islamic Bank|
|ABQ||Al Ahli Bank|
|IIB||Qatar International Islamic Bank|
|IBQ||International Bank of Qatar|
|HSB||HSBC Bank Middle East|
|SCB||Standard Chartered Bank|
|UBL||United Bank Ltd|
|MAR||Masraf Al Rayyan Bank|
|KCB||Al Khaliji Bank|
|QDB||Qatar Development Bank|
A model file is an Excel file format
 Codes of banks operating in accordance with Appendix (2).
  Codes of banks operating according to Appendix (2).
Salary Information File (SIF) is the file of the predefined structure and format, containing the information needed for salary payment transaction processing (transferring salaries from Payer's account to employees) and other information, required by Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (MoLSA) for monitoring salary payments.
Each SIF file must be for one Employer only. The order of the data fields in the SIF is important and should not be mixed.
The file format that is accepted by Wages Protection System is CSV (Comma Separated Values) according to RFC4180 specification (refer to Error! Reference source not found.). The companies may use any application or tools to create this file, for example:
· Exporting it directly from the corporate payroll system (in this example, the corporate might need to modify the payroll system to comply with the file specifications) or
· Using Microsoft Excel to fill the salary information and then to save the file in CSV format.
The following are the data types used in this specification:
· TEXT(X) – can contain Latin letters, digits and special characters. The length of the value shall be less or equal to X symbols. The fields that can contain Arabic letters are specified in the table below (for example names, notes).
Note: Comma is used as a separator for the CSV fields. Hence the values that contain comma shall be double quoted.
· CHAR(X) – Any of the Latin letters. The length of the value shall be less or equal to X symbols.
· NUMBER(X) – Any of the digits (0 to 9). The length of the value shall be less or equal to X symbols.
· DECIMAL(X,Y) – Any of the numbers. X – Maximum number of digits before the decimal separator and Y the exact number of digits after decimal separator. The dot should be used as the decimal separator.
The NUMBER type is also used for the fields that present dates or times:
· Dates: NUMBER(8), yyyyMMdd (year, month and date) - The format is used to specify file creation date.
· Times: NUMBER(4), hhmm (hours in 24 hour format and minutes) – format is used to specify file creation time.
SIF Naming Convention
SIF file is identified by the file name. The name is comprised as follows:
· “SIF" – the text used for identification of the Salary information files (3 characters, TEXT (3))
· Employer's Establishment ID or Company Registration Card Number (8 digits, NUMBER (8))
· Bank short name (up to 4 characters, TEXT(4)) – refer to Error! Reference source not found.) for the names supported by WPS application.
· File creation date (8 digits, NUMBER(8), yyyyMMdd)
· File creation time (4 digits, NUMBER(4), hhmm)
· Extension: CSV
Each section will be separated by an underscore (“_")
The SIF header fields and their types, which listed in the table below. The header fields titles shall be provided in the first row and the header information values shall be provided in the second row of the SIF.
Table 1. SIF Header fields
|Field Name||Field Type||Usage||Comment|
|Employer Establishment ID (Employer EID)||NUMBER(8)||Mandatory||Company Registration Card Number. It can contain 7 or 8 digits.|
|File Creation Date||NUMBER(8)||Mandatory||yyyyMMdd|
|File Creation Time||NUMBER(4)||Mandatory||hhmm|
|Payer Establishment ID (Payer EID)||NUMBER(8)|
|The Establishment ID of the entity that actually performs the payment of salaries (whose account is debited). It can contain 7 or 8 digits.The Employer and Payer Establishment ID can be the same, if Employer pays to its employees directly. Either Payer Establishment ID or Payer QID shall be specified in SIF, meaning, that if Payer EID is specified, Payer QID field shall be blank.|
|Payer QID||NUMBER(11)||||The Qatari ID of the person who actually performs the payment of salaries (whose account is being debited), if Payer is not the corporate entity. Either Payer QID or Payer Establishment ID shall be specified in SIF, meaning, that if Payer QID is specified, Payer EID field shall be blank.|
|Payer Bank Short Name||CHAR(4)||Mandatory||The bank code for the Payer, refer toError! Reference source not found.) for the names supported by WPS application|
|Payer IBAN||TEXT(29)||Mandatory||IBAN (account number) of the Payer|
|Salary Year and Month||NUMBER (6)||Mandatory||yyyyMM|
|Total Salaries||DECIMAL (18,2||)||Mandatory||Total amount of salaries in the SIF, in Qatari Riyals|
|Number of Records||NUMBER (6)||Mandatory||Total number of records (rows) in the SIF|
SIF records contain the information about salary payments for the employees for the specified salary month (Salary Year and Month field in the SIF header). Each record shall contain the information for one particular employee and shall be presented from new line. One record is allowed per one employee within SIF. Employee is identified by QID or Visa ID. Field names for SIF records shall be specified in the third row of the file and the values, starting from the fourth row of the file.
Table 2. SIF Record fields
|Field Name||Field Type||Usage||Comment|
|Record Sequence||NUMBER (6)||Mandatory|
The sequence number that will uniquely identify the SIF record.
Note: If Excel is used for creation of SIF, the column should be formatted as text.
Note: Record Sequence is used by WPS application to generate globally unique Record ID. For example, if Record Sequence is 000012 and the SIF name isSIF_12345678_CBQ_20140706_1216, the Record ID will be assigned by WPS is:
|Employee QID||NUMBER (11)||Mandatory||Qatari ID of the employee, as defined in Qatari ID card. If the Employee Visa ID is specified, Employee QID shall be left blank.|
|Employee Visa ID||TEXT (12)||||Visa ID of the employee. It should specified if employee does not have the Qatari ID card yet and the contract is based on Employee Visa ID. If Employee Visa ID is specified, Employee QID hall be left blank.|
|Employee Name||TEXT (70)||Mandatory|| As defined in employee Qatari ID card (or specified in Visa)|
|Employee Bank Short Name||TEXT (4)||Mandatory||The short name of the bank where employee has his / her account, refer toError! Reference source not found.) for the names supported by WPS application|
|Employee Account||TEXT (29)||Mandatory||Account number of the employee. If employee account is in the different bank then the Payer's account, IBAN should be specified.|
|Salary Frequency||CHARACTER (1)||Mandatory|
“B" – Bi-weekly
“M" – Monthly
Note: It is recommended to specify the salaries of one type of frequency in one SIF (not mix frequencies).
|Number of Working days||NUMBER (3)||Mandatory||Total number of days that employee worked during the month. It can be less than 30 days, if employee was absent, or it can be more, if employee is paid for his vacation in advance. In case of employee vacation throughout the whole month zero (0) value should be specified.|
|Net Salary||DECIMAL (18,2)||Mandatory||It is the exact number that employee is going to receive from employer for the specified salary month, in Qatari Riyals.|
|Mandatory||The amount that the Employer should pay to the employee monthly, in Qatari Riyals according to the contract or by the law. The basic salary should be more than 0 (zero).|
|Mandatory||The total number of hours that employee worked after his working hours (shift) or during the holidays. In case no additional hours, zero (0) should be specified.|
|Extra income||DECIMAL (18,2)||Mandatory|
Extra income is specified in Qatari Riyals. It can include the following:
· Transportation allowances
· Housing allowances
· Working on holidays or vacation
· Bonuses or raises
· Any previous or late payments
· Any advance payments for the vacation
· Or anything else.
In case no additional wages deserved, zero (0) value should be reported.
Total deductions are specified in Qatari Riyals. It can include:
· Violations against the country laws or violations
· Loans payments
· Coverage for damage caused by the employee to the company
· Decrease the salary (in case of sick vacation).
In case no deductions are applied, zero (0) value should be reported.
|Payment Type||TEXT (50)||Optional||Initially, the field shall specify “Normal Payment" or has to be left blank. The other possible values for this field are “Settlement Payment", “Partial Payment", and “Delayed Payment".|
|Notes / Comments||TEXT (300)||Optional||Extra notes including justification for any divergence in the payments.|